We are currently accepting applications for:
Volunteer Internet Safety Advocates
Internet Safety Advocates are the heart of WHOA. ISAs assist people who file reports with us, counseling them regarding online harassment. They research the origin of abusive messages and assist the victim in reporting those messages to the appropriate authorities.
- At least five years of internet experience.
- Response to victim reports within 24 to 48 hours.
- Commitment of five hours a week to work on cases.
- Ability to trace internet messages from a variety of sources.
- Acceptable personal security, online and offline.
- Good interpersonal boundaries.
- Must be open-minded - we deal with victims from all sorts of backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, etc. If you are easily offended, DO NOT apply
New Internet Safety Advocates work on cases with Jayne Hitchcock during a training period, after which they will report to Jeannine Lahey, our Senior Internet Safety Advocate.
Our Director of Communications/Media Liasion needs an assistant to help out when she can't write/send press releases and to contact media outlets to help promote our president as an expert in cyber issues. This position would entail what time you can give, but would need good research to make sure our media contacts list is up to date. Good PR writing skills is a must.
- All positions are volunteer and not paid positions
- All volunteers must be at least 18 years old, or they must have reached the age of majority in their native country if that age is younger than 18.
- If you have an active online harassment/stalking case (with WHOA or any other organization), we ask that you wait until it is resolved to begin volunteering. (You need your energy for your own case right now.)
- WHOA staffers must not be affiliated with any other online safety organization.
- WHOA staffers must uphold our mission statement.
- Must have an excellent command of the English language. All official WHOA communication is done in English. Fluency in other languages is helpful, as we do receive reports from people all over the world, but is not necessary.
- Stable, reasonably secure internet access, with the ability check email at least daily.
If you are interested in talking to us about one of these volunteer positions, please complete the following form.
All information will be held strictly confidential.
If you have a problem submitting the form, please save it as a text file and email it to .