Note: The resources and papers listed here do not necessarily present the viewpoint of WHOA or its members. By listing these resources we do not endorse them. We hope to provide a variety of information and perspectives on the issue of online harassment, abuse and cyberstalking. Education, information and communication are the keys to solving the complex problems of harassment and abuse online. We welcome constructive criticism and opposing viewpoints as part of the dialogue.
Essays, Papers, Interviews and Links
- Angels in Blue. A domestic violence specialist with the Little Rock, Arkansas police department. There are DV laws listed by state, as well as other laws and information.
- Be Safe Online has some good articles about cybersafety and protection against stalking.
- A Conversation with Doug Muth: An Administrator Just Like You
- Finding Online Safety: Tips For Teens and Tweens
- Instructional Technology Education Degrees & Schools
- Internet Safety at Suite101
- Interview with Jayne Hitchcock, target of the Woodside Literary Agency's Harassment
- Offline Safety Tips
- Online Teaching Degrees. Find a teaching degree program that fits your needs. Online certifications available.
- Parents Television Council - Because Our Children Are Watching The Parents Television Council was founded in 1995 to ensure that children are not constantly assaulted by sex, violence and profanity on television and in other media.
- Social Networking Sites, IM Programs, Blogs and More.
- Transcript of Surviving Online: Online Safety Conference with Jayne Hitchcock
CyberStalking & Harassment Cases
- Cyberstalking: Our Family's Story
- Information on the Woodside Literary Agency Case. This case has received a lot of national attention. It is being battled out in the courts right now. Lots of other good prevention information here as well.
- Cyber-Extortion Results in Prison Sentence
- Stalkers Find a New Tool -- the Internet/E-mail is increasingly used to threaten and harass, authorities say
SPAM, Electronic Privacy, and Free Speech Sites
- CAUCE: The Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email. an organization devoted to the noble task of ending SPAM.
- ConnectSafely. A non-profit organization providing safety Web resources for teens, parents, and advocates.
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation. For those of you concerned about issues of free speech, please visit the EFF. Here is a quote from their blue ribbon campaign page that I think might surprise some of our critics: "The Blue Ribbon will be a way to raise awareness of these issues, from locally to globally, and for the quiet voice of reason to be heard. The voice of reason knows that free speech doesn't equate to sexual harassment, abuse of children, or the breeding of hatred or intolerance."
- EPIC: Electronic Privacy Information Center also provides information on issues of cyber-privacy.
- Fight Spam on the Internet includes links to the Internet Blacklist for Advertisers and much more. If your problem isn't personal harassment, but dealing with a lot of junk mail online, please check this out.
Low Cost Legal Information
- Hyatt Legal Plans Group Legal Plans & Benefits for Employees